Evidently I’ve been out of touch with the blogging world and not keeping track of Mai Vegan Life. Unfortunately, this is because I keep slipping; perhaps going cold turkey was a little too much to take on just as my last semester is beginning. I did not anticipate any struggles as I am a long-time Veg Head and figured doing away with dairy and eggs wouldn’t be tricky at all. Clearly I was wrong. Day One (last Thursday), seemed to go pretty well. I did a sort of detox thing and had two shakes to replace meals. Unfortunately I do not have the will power of Beyonce in training for Dreamgirls and ended up eating an oatmeal for dinner! (and a salad for second dinner) The next day, Friday, went fine. It was my first day vegan and I was sticking to it! Saturday I knew would be tricky. I was going to Boston for the daytrip to the New England Aquarium (which is awesome even under construction, might I add) and was inevitably going to be drinking obscene amounts throughout the day and later into the night (meaning I would have little to no control over my late night binge eating.) Anyway… my sister made popcorn with butter, my roommate made a cake with an inch of chocolate frosting, and I was a drunk eating monster. Moving on… Sunday went fine! I accidentally had some Earth Balance with milk… but was fine other than that little slip! Monday and Tuesday were both challenging but successful. I am constantly offered donuts, chocolates and cupcakes (oh my!) at work, and have minimal will-power when it comes to refusing delicious free food. I succeeded on both Monday and Tuesday but actually had to step out of the room to avoid giving up entirely. Tuesday NIght, I realized that if this is something I truly believed in I shouldn’t be going back and forth about committing. At that very moment, my boyfriend came through the door with a pint of Ben & Jerry’s Half Baked to which I put in the freezer without hesitation. (Big steps here) I made a list of my reasons and took a vow to full-fledged Veganism. From here on out I will attempt to document every vegan meal I so excitedly consume, suggest products, record recipes, ask for advice, and keep you posted on vegan life!
Great Vegan eats, simple recipes and adorable illustrations to top it off! They have one cookbook and are working on the second.
Everyone should invest in a bag of these guys! Here are 10 reasons why…
- Great weight loss tool!- The essential fatty acids contained in Chia seeds help boost your metabolism and promote lean muscle mass. They can be added to good to provide high amounts of nutrients and minimal calories.
- GOOD proteins- Chia seeds provide high quality protein as they are about 20% protein and contain strontium which helps to assimilate protein and produce high energy.
- Antioxidants- Chia seeds are packed with antioxidants… even more than fresh blueberries!
- Engage your brain!- Chia seeds contain essential fatty acids which are known to make cell membranes more flexible and efficient in making nutrients readily available and nerve transition more efficient. Thus improvements in brain function, memory and concentration result from consuming those magic little seeds!
- Get some of those Omega-3’s into your Diet!- Who says you can only get Omega-3 oils in fish?! Chia seeds are packed with Omega-3 oils, which help with weight loss and improve heart and cholesterol health.
- Curb those cravings!- Chia seeds provide you all of the essential vitamins and minerals that your body is asking for! Chia seeds contain more calcium then whole milk, magnesium and boron, among other vitamins and minerals. By balancing your vitamins and minerals with Chia seeds you can curb cravings!
- ENGERGIZE- The word “chia” translates to “strength” in the Mayan language. Chia seeds are a balanced blend of carbs, good fats, fiber, vitamins, minerals, blood-sugar balancing gels and protein. One tablespoon is said to sustain a person for 24 hours! The excellent combination of these things will make sure you have steady energy levels throughout the day.
- Support Heart Health- Chia seeds can reduce blood pressure as they contain one of the highest known plant sources of essential fatty acids, which support immune, cardiovascular, nervous and reproductive systems.
- Stabilize your blood sugar!- Chia seeds slow down the rate at which complex carbohydrates are digested and then assimilated into the body. The soluble fiber helps stabilize blood glucose levels resulting in sustained, steady energy. It has also been found to aid with blood clotting and reducing blood pressure.
- Their amazing texture will add spice to your life!- When added to water Chia seeds hydrate, and magnify the taste of whatever they are added too. They turn into a gelly ball of goodness and have the slightest crunch! When consumed dry they provide an extra crunch and to not alter the flavor of what you’re eating!
Tips on how to use these superpowered seeds!
- Sprinkle them onto your cereal, salads, yogurt, etc.
- Ground them into smoothies
- Add them to baked goods
- Soak them in water and add them to pudding, oatmeal, porridges, etc.
- Soak them in lemon juice and mint and add them to your water for a detox beverage!
Please post any other Chia recipes or Chia ideas and let me know what you think!
For as long as men massacre animals, they will kill each other. Indeed, he who sows the seed of murder and pain cannot reap joy and love.